Tuesday, July 29, 2008

30 Years Ago...

30 Years Ago....

Paul Stickney and Mary Lochridge embarked on an adventure that continues to this day.

The two met in 1977 in Vermillion, South Dakota, both were in their final year as undergraduates at the University of South Dakota. It was love at first sight .... for Paul. Soon after meeting, Mary would discover Paul "lingering" at her apt. building or he would be walking through the halls of the communications building where he had no classes but where all of Mary's classes were. One afternoon, Mary looked up from her classroom to see Paul peering inside, grinning at her.

Today we would call it stalking. Still, Paul prevailed and on August 19, 1978, they were married at Glacier Campground in Montana. Mary and Paul will be returning to Glacier Campground to mark their 30 years of marriage. That trip will begin August 15. We hope to communicate to all through this blog during our trip.

Be kind in your comments, our children will be reading this.

Montana or Bust!!!!

10 comments:

judge stick said...

I think you are going to have a great time!!!!

Unknown said...

Honey, don't you mean that WE are going to have a great time??

cin4d9y said...

So glad to hear from you. Mike and I will also be on a road trip out West during most of that same time period. WESTWARD HOOOOOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

I was there, and I was five years old! Congrats, guys.

Eric

Unknown said...

You WERE at our wedding Eric!! Do you remember much about it?? We were at the "wedding campground" last summer too for the family reunion. Both events, wedding and reunion, were COLD. We are melting right now in Texas so cold sounds good, just not too cold. Remember turning blue last summer trying to hike Avalanche??

Hey, tell the Rapid City crew at this point in time we are leaning toward going to Mount Rushmore on the way home. Paul really wants to and I agree.

Thanks for posting, good to hear from you!!

Eric, by the way, is my brilliant nephew who is an editor at the Rapid City Journal, also happily married with 2 great kids. if you click on his username you will get to his poetry blog and see for yourself how smart he is!!

nativekansan said...

congratulations guys!! it's my 30th anniversary as well---1978 i graduated high school! woo hoo!!

Unknown said...

We can hardly wait to see you guys and I am looking forward to reading what your experience through Wyoming is like. Too bad the Mika won't be able to meet and play with Lola. I hgad visions of them playing in the river.

Jim

Jan Lochridge-Long said...

I can't believe it has been thirty years!! And yes, my son Eric was five and in attendance (and he is brilliant and yes, everyone should go to his blog and read it!!). I was your Maid of Honor and held 14 month old Daniel throughout the wedding ceremony. You have always been the BEST "sister" any girl could ever have!! Heres to "Couple Number ONE"!! Have a blast!!

Jan Lochridge-Long said...

Oh my gosh......now I am REALLY excited. Are you serious about coming through the Black Hills on your way home?? You really should, you know, because Mt Rushmore has changed ALOT since you last saw it.

kara said...

Hey!!! This is great!

I was there too... some of my very earliest memories are from your wedding... specifically, sitting around some sort of big open fireplace with the great-grandmas, and also walking through some tall grass toward my older brother. I also remember the band playing. Bluegrass, was it?

I also recall being somewhat nonplussed over the "weeds" on the wedding cake.

It was so nice to see you back in May. I wish I could have spent more time with you!!

Have a great trip!